Saturday, April 13, 2013

Research for Final (Re-Typed)

Old Town Trolley Tours
Tours depart continuously every 15 minutes.
8:30am to 4:30pm
Hours of operation may be extended during holiday weekends and during peak season. Please call (904) 829-3800 for details.
22 stops listed by points of interest
1. The Old Jail, St. Augustine History Museum, Oldest Museum Experience, Gator Bob’s Trading Post
2. Old Town Trolley Welcome Center US1
3. Visitors Information Center on Castillo Drive
4. Old Drug Store, Tolomato Cemetery
5. City Gates, Spanish Quarter, Oldest Wooden School House, St. George Street, Ripley's Believe It or Not
6. Spanish Quarter, Castillo de San Marcos, Pirate & Treasure Museum
7. Bay View at the Monterey, Carriage Rides
8. Hypolita and St. George Street (historic walking mall)
9. Flagler Memorial, Presbyterian Church, Ancient City Baptist Church, Grace United Methodist Church
10. San Sebastian Winery
11. Whetstone's Chocolate Factory
12. Villa Zorayda Museum
13. Lightner Museum, Flagler College, Dow Museum of Historic Homes
14. Plaza de la Constitucion, Government House, Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine
15. Potter's Wax Museum, Spanish Military Hospital, Beach Bus Stop*
16. Oldest House, Fernando-Lambias House
17. Castillo de San Marcos
18. Ripley's Believe It or Not
19. Old Town Trolley Welcome Center, Ghost and Gravestones, Uptown San Marco
20. Mission of Nombre de Dios, Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche
21. The Old Senator
22. Fountain of Youth

Out of all of these stops, I wanted to pick a few that stand out to most tourists and also share some experiences I had after performing in these places. Most of my videos were lost due to uploading them all at the same time and so I was able to still keep a few which were videotaped with my camera rather than my phone like the others that were lost. Through these series of videos, I wanted to capture in different ways such as editing, playing fully, and so on, to add on to myths people like tourists normally keep going by spreading them around. I had originally wanted my explanations such as these to be in the videos but it works out better with them typed. I had decided to go around St. Augustine, following the Old Trolley Tour cart with a "Not a tourist" shirt on and the usual outfit to expose and create my own unique rumors and to capture the behavior of a tourist while drawing attention to myself. I had come up with this by thinking of the artist Adrian Piper and her Catalysis series which she performed in New York. Each of hers brought attention to herself, and so I had created my own series in a way to do the same and feed into the rumors. I wanted to get the many reactions of people as well as the actual myths themselves by further taping these encounters with tourists and workers around me. I had chose my best videos to show this which are shown above. I hope you enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment