Place# 13: Lightner Museum, Flagler College, Dow Museum of Historic Homes
Brushing one's teeth
Did Flagler really brush his teeth in the men's room?
In the beginning of this individual movie, I wanted to sort of capture the movements and actions of the tourists I had watched very closely. That is why I stood in front of the men's bathroom in the tourist attire and took pictures of inside the bathroom. I wanted to keep this video a continuous capturing without voice editing to get the full actions of the different people I encountered while keeping it as real as possible. I also had decided to ask the same question in order to see if I got different reactions out of people who passed by me or went into the bathroom themselves. This had led me to talk to Flagler students, a tourist, and a few workers at Flagler such as the security guards and another worker. Throughout this video, another reason why I did not mess with the order is to show how my question progressed from a simple "I don't Know" to a whole conversation of someone joking around with me and actually contributing to the myth itself without asking me what I was doing. That alone was enough for my project to be successful. I had made many performances of each part of every project I had created and chose this one in this section because of the ending with the myth. The guy had a conversation with me about him seeing Flagler brushing his teeth in that bathroom on the 125th anniversary and how he believes he did, while the security guard was explaining how she didn't think that that was an actual bathroom during Flagler's life. The myth built right on top of itself adding in more questions as well as thoughts and answers between strangers who didn't even know each others names. Later after filming, a couple hours later, I had noticed that that same person had walked by and asked someone else if they thought Flagler brushed his teeth in that bathroom. This was the best example of how tourists normally spread myths around to each other as well as the residents themselves. All in all, it was very effective.
Brushing one's teeth
Did Flagler really brush his teeth in the men's room?
In the beginning of this individual movie, I wanted to sort of capture the movements and actions of the tourists I had watched very closely. That is why I stood in front of the men's bathroom in the tourist attire and took pictures of inside the bathroom. I wanted to keep this video a continuous capturing without voice editing to get the full actions of the different people I encountered while keeping it as real as possible. I also had decided to ask the same question in order to see if I got different reactions out of people who passed by me or went into the bathroom themselves. This had led me to talk to Flagler students, a tourist, and a few workers at Flagler such as the security guards and another worker. Throughout this video, another reason why I did not mess with the order is to show how my question progressed from a simple "I don't Know" to a whole conversation of someone joking around with me and actually contributing to the myth itself without asking me what I was doing. That alone was enough for my project to be successful. I had made many performances of each part of every project I had created and chose this one in this section because of the ending with the myth. The guy had a conversation with me about him seeing Flagler brushing his teeth in that bathroom on the 125th anniversary and how he believes he did, while the security guard was explaining how she didn't think that that was an actual bathroom during Flagler's life. The myth built right on top of itself adding in more questions as well as thoughts and answers between strangers who didn't even know each others names. Later after filming, a couple hours later, I had noticed that that same person had walked by and asked someone else if they thought Flagler brushed his teeth in that bathroom. This was the best example of how tourists normally spread myths around to each other as well as the residents themselves. All in all, it was very effective.
No comments:
Post a Comment