Monday, February 18, 2013

Gravity:
1.) Cans away!



Throughout my life, I have always been able to notice that gravity has certain effects on objects. This includes an effect I like to call, the "bounce" effect. Objects don't just fall to the ground, in order to break and everything, objects fall to the ground, hit the ground, bounce up a little a few times, and then come to a stop. What better way to show this then by showing a video and choosing a loud object such as a can in a coffee mug so we can see and hear the "bounce" effect. I chose to do a trick I learned and placed the can in a smaller coffee cup in order to move the can into the next one without touching the can. You blow a gust of air down into the can which pushes around the loose edges and shoots the can up into the next cup or on the floor like my first try. Watching this short video you can hear the can bouncing ans it falls back down toward the ground. 

2.)Second times the charm


I bet you thought something was going to happen didn't you! I've noticed that gravity is all around us constantly pulling us to the ground. With ought it, the cup in the video would be floating up in the air, probably floating to space. I wanted to create a video that has anticipation, because you don't know what's going to happen. Ad now after viewing this video, your probably not only mad about nothing happening, but also thinking about the word gravity a little more, and its effects on us at this very second. Otherwise we would be floating right now. 

3.) Bruises, and bruises, and bruises. Oh My!


In this video of my performance, I wanted to show how the constant pull of gravity effects the movements we make and the ways we fall if we fall. Theres not just one specific pull which drags you a certain way, there are many the pull your body all around you as if a rope was wrapped around you. To show this I lean backwards, falling in that direction due to gravity reacting on my direction. I repeat this over and over, while bruising myself, to create more anticipation. It shows how gravity reacts on what I do because when I lean backwards I fall backwards. And in the end, when I lean forwards, I finally fall forwards. Gravity is that simple!

4.) Third times also the charm


I bet you thought this video was going to be like the first one! For this specific video, I wanted to show the aftermath of gravity rather than showing it's there. Basically I wanted to show the effects it has on objects while its pulling them down to earth. In order to do so, I created suspense again and had drawn out all of the actions taking place all the way up to the final crash which was slowed down so the sounds could be heard more clearly and the sight was easier to see. Looking at the video, we can tell that gravity has an effect before and after on objects that fall to the ground. Gravity pulls the object where it is then shattered into many pieces that are each crashing down on their own pull of gravity. It also shows that even after you are pulled, every object has the same amount of pull of gravity because it all travels at the same speed, as shown in the crash of my coffee mug. A sad day for coffee mugs all around. 


5.) Falling Upwards


Ever since I learned that I had to do a project on gravity, I had though about hanging upside down to show the pull of it. I had performed this a couple times but none were as good as this video. I barely leaned dow because of my fear of falling, and I hung therefor a few minutes. While performing this, I could feel the blood rushing to my head. Also my partner in crime kept laughing at me the whole time telling me my face as getting redder than a tomato. You can see some of this behind the play of lighting. I chose this video simply because the lighting gave me a weird sort of funny look because it outlined the fat in my cheeks more and my glasses flew off. I had decided to play this upside down so I could give the video an even funnier look to it because it looks like I'm flying, yet the objects are falling up. Gravity can change the body by the loss of blood flow and everything else. 

6.) The sugar of time


For this final gravity project, I had decided to acknowledge that the pull of gravity happens on every object which causes particles to overlap and "fight" for its chance to touch the ground. In order to do so, I had created my own hourglass out of two cups, styrofoam bowl, and sugar rather than sand. I took a video of me pouring the sugar into one of the cups and videotaped the sugar overlapping one another trying to get to the bottom first. This shows us that gravity effects all objects around us, not just a select few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment