Monday, February 25, 2013


Transparency
1.) What privacy?


I had created this transparent tape backpack in order to bring attention to privacy. Normally people don't go around saying, "Hey! Guess what i have in my bag!" Most of the time we are reserved with our belongings. That is why I decided to make a transparent backpack and put normally hidden items in it . This included:
1.)Tampon and Pad
2. Pills
3. A Small COndom
4. A I love Justin Beiber picture
5. A Phone number
6. Social Security number
7. And a stuffed animal
I wanted to exploit this and bring it to everyones attention by drawing out the bag and layout. 

2.) Through the Looking Glass

I wanted to create something physical for this project to show how transparency is like our eyes or when we wear glasses. Looking closely at the picture, you can see the tiny transparent square in the middle in front of everything, zooming in on the even tinier squiggles. I wanted to show how our eyes perceive us and how they are like a magnifying glass. There's a reflection there, yet you can still see straight through it unlike the mirrors surrounding it. 

3.) Your Never Too Old to Play with Bubbles

Recently, the other day I was washing my hands and accidentally created giant bubbles out of the soap. Because soap its own unique form of water, it is transparant. However, it's in it's own expendable form. I wanted to show this in greater detail by placing the camera right underneath me and show the bubbles forming right over the camera. I also wanted to how how this type of transparency plays with color and light. If you look really closely, there is always a rainbow type pattern in a bubble. Because of this along with the shape of the bubble (like a funhouse mirror), sometimes bubbles portray different colors than what is seen. 

4.) Now you see me, now you don't




Each of these pictures represents a series of transparent projects that I had created and wanted to put together. I wanted to emphasize the fact that we are not always aware of our surroundings and so I wrapped some everyday items the girls in Ponce always visit. I even noticed how some of the girls did not even notice the transparent tape around the vending machine slot and kept asking each other why it wasn't working until they finally noticed the tape about 5 minutes later. I wish I had caught that on tape. But it shows how little we pay attention at times. 

5.) Tracing paper, taste the Transparency





For this specific transparency project, I wanted to focus on how transparency allows objects to overlap as well as mix together. In order to do so, I had created six peace sign hands, all identical, and colored them specifically one color. I then had placed them in a variety of different patterns to see how much the transparency would allow the colors to mix while the forms were overlapping. The colors themselves did not quite mix in as much as they showed through the other side besides the purple and the blue one. But in each picture it is easily readable, that transparent objects can easily overlap one over the other and show up through the topside. 

6.) A little too close for comfort




Transparency and distortion. Although it is true that a lot of transparent objects distort figures by magnifying or just leaving everything looking the same, I wanted to focus on how most items distort the figures. I have noticed that tracing paper is a good example of a cloudy type of transparency that doesn't show the object quite clearly. I decided to take a few pictures with it and see how deformed it made my face since it wasn't clear. In the first picture, I had wrapped it around my face making me look like a demented creature that could have possibly been associated with Harry Potter or Surrealism. The transparent paper wraps to the curves in an odd way that makes it seem as if my face was jagged and more boxy. In the second picture I decided to stick my tongue out and lick the paper which made my tongue the actual color it is. The rest of the colors in my face are drained away due to the paper. In the last picture I had decided to get the transparent paper wet to see if it would distort my face still. This time the colors bled through more clearly along with the light, making it seem like half of my head was gone. Transparent objects will do that to you sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment