Scroll (At Least 20 feet)
The whole objective of this project was to tell an audience a story or plot that has taken part in your life. My stretch towards this took me in the path of explaining my biggest struggle in life, deciding what I want to do with my life in the future and showing how art became that answer. Here I used a series of figures and objects to express these concerns and struggles through this hard time in my life. My mediums I had used were ink, gesso some thread, and cutting into the actual scroll itself.
These first two images show the very beginning of my scroll. The first part of it starts out in total blackness to emphasize my carefree world without worry. Popping out of that darkness are two forks which branch off into other smaller forks. This indicates the "forks in the road" or the many paths that approached me causing me to start coming up with an idea of what I would like to do later in life. They move me forward through life, all the way leading to the clock that has time written all over it in ares where numbers should be. This object symbolizes time itself like it does in our culture only this time, it doesn't emphasize an actual time that's special, but how time is running out for me and how I needed to start coming up with the answer for myself as quick as possible.
Then the arrow leads to another section where many fingers grasp around a face holding it back from the viewers attention. This is to symbolize how certain people where holding me back physically as well as emotionally. Many ideas of jobs such as being an artist, had always caused my parents to say "That's not a real job", or "you won't even make money". Disregarding their views, I moved forward trying to show my true self like the person is trying. It also symbolizes how I was starting to come up with my exact answer obstacle by obstacle. I was reaching out of the darkness. Next to this sight are three figures. Two cut out and one giant shadow. These three figures are my grandparents. (left-granny, middle-grandpa, right- grandma) At this stage in my life, my grandparents where the ones pushing me towards this goal of becoming an artist, especially since my granny was a crafts person and my grandmother loved seeing me happy. My granny was the one who always sat down and created crafts with me until her last day. My grandmother was the first to go. This pushed me even harder because I wanted to make them proud. My grandfather in the middle is a darkened shadow because he was the last to go. He also had pushed me to think about my future and had got to see me actually go to my first semester of college. This shows my influences pushing me towards my destination by the different shapes approached.
This is not the exact middle of my scroll, but it counts as it. Looking at the top picture, my confusion is being portrayed by the massive black and white lines that are being sucked within the brain. That brain indicates my"genius side" as well as my "artsy" side. Looking at it, it is placed as if you were looking into a mirror. Finally reaching to my realization that I want to become an artist, I portrayed it with popcorn as well as batman. The popcorn is simply because the idea of being an artist popped into my head. Looking closer at the popcorn, the riddler (evil character in batman) is face planted into it. This indicates my confusion being beaten because I know what I want to do now. This is the same with batman punching the joker. Looking at it, it as if you were reading a comic because you expect to see a big "POW" over the picture. That shows how my confusion was completely gone and I was ready to take on anything in order to follow my dreams.
Coming out of the lines mixed in with batman and the joker are three arms reaching out. These three arms symbolize the three colleges I applied to once I was in my senior year of high school. The red indicating Flagler, blue is Ringling, and the yellow as SCAD. These arms outstretch towards a giant wasp/bee showing how I had narrowed my options down to just SCAD and Flagler. The arms are holding the bee back to show how I would have been held back at SCAD because I would just be another artist in a crowd of hundreds of them and how it would be difficult to get away. Out of the bees mouth is a lion which symbolizes Flagler and how I chose to pursue my career in art there because I knew it would give me a bigger advantage and so he is escaping the bee.
The final pictures indicate the rest of my journey. Like a bridge, we are at point A trying to get to point B. I made it as if your on the bridge with me, walking to my future which is open to new opportunities. The bridge leads into a cavern which leads out to the open and splits into two halves. One is multicolored indicating that this path is the one I am wanting to choose that would lead me to a happy successful life. While the other shows that there is still a path that would not be best for me and would lead me to the wrong place. Another fork in the road. It shows how there are always different paths and choices in which I could follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment